Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Become a Christian to Join a Club?

I received the book I ordered about Mother Teresa. It is Something Beautiful for God by Malcolm Muggeridge. He is not a Christian himself and he has a quote that was interesting:

"Of all the purposes which draw people together - excitement, cupidity, curiosity, lechery, hatred - this alone, worship, makes them seem like a loving family; abolishing the conflicts and divisions of class and race and wealth and talent, as they fall on their knees before a Father in heaven and his incarnate Son; confess their sins, renew their hopes, find the strength to snatch another mortal day from the splendid prospect opened before them of eternity, their immortal dwelling-place."

He said this quote in response to Mother Teresa wanting him to accept Christ. Muggeridge says he wants to only to please her. But he couldn't in good conscience do that because it would be "fraudulent."

How many people have joined the church to become part of a club or find a family that they are longing for. I know I grew a lot in my faith in college when I was living with and spending a lot of time with some really great friends who were Christ-followers. I wanted to please them as well as grow closer to them so I was interested in what they were into. This means Bible studies, prayer groups and leadership at our campus ministry. I don't think my motivation for doing these things was fully Christ-centered.

No comments:

Post a Comment